How do we get our marriage licence?


You should visit PEI Vital Statistics for full details on how and where to get a marriage licence. This is required for the ceremony to be legal. (A marriage licence is not required for a vow renewal ceremony or a commitment ceremony.) You can obtain your licence on the same day as the marriage, however, it’s best to make an appointment ahead of time so everything goes as planned. Make sure you bring all the required documentation so there are no delays. Your license is good for 3 months. Please note that you need to know who will be officiating at your wedding when you apply for the licence.

Do we need witnesses?

Yes, in order for the ceremony to be legal, there must be two witness who are over 18 years old. If you do not have witnesses, these can be provided for a fee.

What name do I sign on the registration after the ceremony?

All the paperwork must be signed using your legal name which is on your marriage license. If you wish to change your name once you’re married, visit here for instructions on how to do so. I can introduce you to your guests following the ceremony however you wish.

Can we design our own ceremony?

Yes. There are some basic requirements in order for the ceremony to be legal. Otherwise, you can add anything else in that you like to make the ceremony more special for you.

Can we include our dog or our children?

Of course. You can design the ceremony to include anyone or any animal you wish.

What do you wear?

I’ll wear a dress, just like any other of your guests. I’ll stick to neutral colours so I don’t clash with your bridal party or stand out too much in your photos. If you’re going with a themed wedding, I can wear a costume if it’s provided.

Where do you perform wedding ceremonies?

I live outside of Charlottetown but am quite willing to drive anywhere on PEI to perform your ceremony. Mileage may be included in your fee depending on the distance. I can work in any venue you choose.

What languages can you perform the ceremony in?

I am able to perform the ceremony in both English and French. If one or both of you does not speak either English or French well, an interpreter may be required to ensure that you understand the commitment being made.

Do you require a deposit?

Yes, I require a $50 non-refundable deposit to save the date.

What types of payment do you accept?

Payment can be made in cash or via e- transfer.